Supporting our veterans
Hiring our heroes
We have partnered with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation on their Hiring Our Heroes initiative, which connects veterans, service members, and military spouses with meaningful employment opportunities. We are committed to identifying and hiring full-time team members through this program to further unite the military community with our company in order to create economic opportunity and a stronger, more diversified workforce.
- 12-week intern fellowship program for exiting military personnel to gain hands-on, practical experiences in one functional area (e.g., F&B, HR, IT, etc.)
- Fellows are placed in exempt roles and report to their properties Monday–Thursday, and to their military base on Fridays for training
The Penn National Gaming Foundation and our properties around the country are proud to support numerous local non-profit organizations serving our veterans and active service members. For example:
- Penn National is a founding supporter of “Operation Lead from the Front,” a program launched by the IM ABLE Foundation that is designed to match military veterans with children with disabilities to help the veterans rediscover meaning, purpose, and connection through a new mission of mentoring and helping them stay active.
- We LAUNCHED the “Harold Cramer Memorial Scholarship” program at the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School in honor of our long-serving Board member who passed away in 2017. Mr. Cramer attended the Judge Advocate General’s School before becoming chief prosecutor for the Eighth Army in Korea. This scholarship program is a multi-year commitment to provide financial assistance to veterans pursuing a law degree at UPENN.
- We provide annual support for the Jarett Yoder Foundation/Operation Heroes, which runs nine veteran group homes called “Patriot” houses and serves over 200 homeless veterans and more than 50 service animals in Central Pennsylvania.
- Penn National is a founding sponsor of the Berks County, Pennsylvania “Veterans Celebration” event, which has raised over $500,000 in funds to support local veterans in the Greater Reading area. Proceeds also go towards a scholarship program at Reading Area Community College for career-vocational training for veterans and those actively serving in the Reserves or National Guard who are ineligible for funding under the GI Bill and other education-benefit programs.
Penn National is also proud to spotlight our team members who served in the military through back-of-house “Honor Wall” displays and in our internal newsletter, “The Insider.” In addition, we host special recognitions and events for team members and customers who are actively serving, or are veterans, on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and throughout the year. For example, our property teams in Bossier City, Louisiana delivered over 3,000 freshly baked cookies last Christmas to our service men and women at Barksdale Airforce Base near Shreveport.
We recently launched a new program called myHeroes, which will honor our veterans, first responders, and their families through team member recognition, employment opportunities, and we’ll be providing an exclusive, fully integrated extension of our mychoice® rewards loyalty program.